The building that reflects the history of the valley.
Today, the town hall is the seat of Ursern Corporation and the district court. In the council hall, the carved ceiling dating from 1931 displays family coats of arms of Ursern citizens.
no info available
The town hall in Ursern was first mentioned in 1459. The town hall that was probably built in 1583 by local master builder Johannes Schmid was destroyed in the village fire of 1766 and rebuilt in 1767. The ground floor, now a shop and storehouse of the Ursern power station, was once used – in the days of muleteer trading – as a “Sust” (a public building for rest and storage, similar to a coaching inn).
In 1974, the town hall was renovated again and the arcade along the Gotthardstrasse was extended.
Muleteer trading on the Gotthard lasted for 600 years. Muleteers took on the transportation of commercial goods across the pass. Between 1820 and 1830, approximately 2600 tonnes of traded goods were transported across the Gotthard per year.